09. October 2020
Digital Long Night of Research on 09/10/2020
The Long Night of Research is unique. It is the biggest event for science and research in German-speaking countries. Every two years, innovative findings and groundbreaking technologies are presented to a wide and diverse audience all over Austria.
On 9 October 2020 the Long Night of Research will be held as a digital event for the first time!
In times like these it is not possible to hold the Long Night of Research in the usual way. In addition, our exhibiting organizations are currently facing enormous challenges. That is why this year, in keeping with the motto of “digital transformation”, we are staging part of the programme solely as virtual events. Around 200 contributions from all nine provinces will be available online. On 9 October 2020 there will be numerous live streams in keeping with the interactive character of the Long Night of Research. The entire online programme will be available from 9 October to 30 December 2020.
The next Long Night of Research event that visitors can attend has been postponed until 23 April 2021.
Even though the virtual format cannot replicate the live experience one to one we are convinced that it has many advantages:
- It is easy to watch the video clips at homeby just clicking on them
- Wherever you are and at any time of the day or night, with family, friends or on your own
- This means that, for the first time, everyone in Austria has the chance to discover research activities in every part of the country.
- The range of items covers all 12 fields– from education to digitalization, energy, health, art, technology and economics.
- The items can be selected by topic or type.
- There will be a large number of videoson current research projects as well as interviews with researchers working in Austria. Virtual guided tours of laboratories and research institutions offer a behind-the-scenes look at research. Explanatory videos, teaching videos and live demonstrations show in an easy-to-follow way how research works and are also suitable for school pupils. There are also several interactive features such as an online quiz, games and apps as well as scientific talks.
- As a result, all those interested can “visit” more stations than usual for almost three months.
- Advance information is available on our social media channels.